Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This Week’s Topic : It’s a Valentine’s Day Freebie!
Lets spin this one around and look at some books that are in ways the opposite of happy and romantic. Want to give your Valentine a total bummer gift because you are just that kind of sado-masochist? Or are you just anti-Romance in general? No judgments here, because I have just the books for you!
If you want a book about….
- the worst wedding ever? Check out Storm of Swords. It’s a party the north will always remember!
- having a really public affair and all of the consequences of it? Can’t get any better than good ole Anna Karenina and her mess of a life.
- why having premarital sex as a lady will doom you forever? Why that’s going to be Tess of the D’Urbervilles.
- a husband who is losing his mind and being a major asshole in the process? Sounds like The Shining is going to be right up your topiary garden.
- heartbreak, infidelity, and death? This is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz will make you hurt.
- struggling with impotence and feeling disillusioned with life? The Sun Also Rises not only handles those important issues, but it’s a romp across Europe as well!
- the soul crushing injustices of having your body and emotions controlled? You might want to grab The Handmaid’s Tale for that.
- the most depressing family situation ever? The Road is going to bring the exact opposite of joy to your heart.
- getting sweet, sweet revenge on your ex’s new family? The Count of Monte Cristo will satisfy all of your cravings for retribution.
- watching your loved ones pay for your stupid mistakes? Pick up Frankenstein, and you’ll get not only that, but a secondary hit to the gut about being utterly alone in the world!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Have any totally non-romantic and/or bummer books you’d like to add? Let me know in the comments!