I can not believe March is over already. I suppose spending half the month either sick or in a car makes the time go faster?
Anyway, it was a pretty decent month for reading. Lots of shorter titles done, lots of boxes checked for challenges. My actual novel writing was pretty terrible… yet again… but 20 days of rain tends to sift out all creativity from my brain. It’ll be summer soon, and motivation will return in spades… I hope.
- Favorite Book of the Month : Probably A Gathering of Shadows . It wasn’t my highest review score, and it’s not for everyone, but it was just fantastically wonderful.
- Least Favorite Book of the Month : In the Garden of Beasts. I just was not feeling it.
- Favorite Highlight : Because I can’t just insert the entire Eschaton chapter from Infinite Jest, this – “During actionless diplomatic intervals like this, Troeltsch is reduced to saying ‘What a beautiful day for an Eschaton’ over and over and asking people for their thoughts on the game until Pemulis tells him he’s cruising to get dope-slapped.”
- Everyone Should Read : Nimona. It was was so freaking fun.
- Topic That I’m Now Obsessed With : Graphic Novels. I’ve been reading a bunch lately and I have even more sitting on my desk ready to go. They’re fabulous to read when you don’t have a lot of time but still have a burning need to feel like you’ve accomplished something. Plus they tend to be really great. Or at least the ones I’ve been picking up have been.
- New (to me) Author I Want to Read More Of : Noelle Stevenson, who wrote and illustrated Nimona. I have Lumberjanes at the ready, which she worked on. Reading Nimona definitely bumped that higher up on my reading order list.
- New (to me) Author I Think I’ll Skip From Now On : Not sure if it’ll be a permanent skip, but I think I’m done with Dune series books for a while. Sorry Frank Herbert, and whoever else kept writing for you after you died
- Looking Forward To Reading : My BFF Lady Brunch / Book Club has decided to read Good Omens. I read it like… a decade ago? And have been meaning to reread it, especially with all the Pratchett and Gaiman I’ve been chugging through lately. Now I have a good excuse!
- Reading Challenge Status : Looking silly. My yearly goal of 52 is going to be broken in like… May at this rate. Even if you take out the graphic novels I really, really underestimated what I was capable of. Let’s see, for the Pretty Books Challenge I read Persuasion, and added Blankets to my list of locations for Read About Where. My time periods for When Are You Reading didn’t get any additions unfortunately… a bunch more doubling up happened. Curse you 1930s, 1800s, and the future! But! I’m almost up to date on reviews, so there is that? The Magicians should be done and posted tomorrow… I hope…
Full List of Books Completed
- A Gathering of Shadows
- Children of Dune
- In the Garden of Beasts
- The Ladies of Grace Adieu
- The Magicians
How did your month of reading go? Have a book or quote that totally blew your mind? Let me know in the comments!