Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This Week’s Topic : 10 Books that make you laugh
Books of all genres have the ability to make us laugh out loud. Literature, fantasy, memoir, science-fiction, YA. You can find humor in titles of all sorts, and here are just a few of the books I’ve picked up lately that have caused me to laugh very loudly in otherwise quiet, public places…
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace – It’s more than an 1,100 page doorstop. This strange novel combines scenes dealing with depression and substance abuse with some of the funniest single lines I’ve ever read.
- Bossypants by Tina Fey – One of the funniest memoirs I’ve ever read, by one of my pop-culture idols.
- The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams – Science fiction with satire, humor, and people having a far worse day than you are.
- How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran – Snark, feminism, and the quandaries of growing up.
- Bridget Jones Diary by Helen Fielding – One woman’s hilarious self-aware quest for improvement.
- Discworld by Terry Pratchett – Really anything in this series will tickle your funny bone. Fantasy and dry humor are a perfect combination.
- Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosch – A comic memoir about growing up (and simple dogs)
- The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman – Just a dude making things up, with ridiculous results.
- Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams – Who knew a book about animals going extinct could be so full of humor?
- Matilda by Roald Dahl – She’s a poorly treated girl who finds magic, laughter, and a family. A childhood favorite!