There isn’t much to say about April other than HOLY CRAP IT IS DONE. I’ve been reading Infinite Jest for three months and it’s over. I did it. I’m glad I did it, but it was quite an adventure, and at times mentally exhausting. Anyway, it’s a challenge that I’m happy I completed. Now starts my War and Peace reading group. Three more months of super long books with weird styles!
I completed 12 books in total, though several were quite short, or were a comic book/graphic novel. I think that might actually be my highest monthly title count though! Grad school summer classes start next week unfortunately, and are more demanding, so my count for the next few months should be lower if I want to actually keep my grades up…
- Favorite Book of the Month : Infinite Jest. It’s a book I wish I had read sooner, and one I will read again… eventually. There is just so much within that book that a single read through can’t be enough.
- Least Favorite Book of the Month : The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. As my review said… cool concept, but an underwhelming product.
- Favorite Highlight : “It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever,” he said. “Have you thought of going into teaching?” – Mort
- Everyone Should Read : The Catcher in the Rye. I mean, you’ve probably read it in high school already, but it was such an interesting book that says so much about the culture of growing up.
- Topic That I’m Now Obsessed With : I’ve been on a big fantasy kick again, between Mort and Good Omens and the Reckoners books. I have more Discworld lined up, and also need to read the next Magicians book at some point too. Hmm.
- New (to me) Author I Want to Read More Of : David Foster Wallace. Aside from the 1,000 pages of Infinite Jest I’ve only read one essay of his. I’d like to read more in the future for sure.
- New (to me) Author I Think I’ll Skip From Now On : No one this month is really giving me pause for the future. While League was only alright, I’ve read and enjoyed other things by Moore (and he’s not new to me besides).
- Looking Forward To Reading : I’m looking forward to finishing up the Reckoners trilogy. I also snagged a copy of High Rise by J.G. Ballard, because the movie looks crazy but I hear it’s confusing if you haven’t read the book. It’s like 200 pages so it should go fast…
- Reading Challenge Status : I really need to increase my Goodreads goal of 52. I read The Catcher in the Rye for the Pretty Books Challenge. I added a few places (including the Ocean, wooo!) for Read About Where. When are You Reading got a few more time periods filled in- the 1900s and 1950s most notably. I’m also a tiny bit behind on reviews, but most of those were just very recently finished books, and should be out during the week.
Full List of Books Completed
- Equal Rites
- Lumberjanes : Beware the Kitten Holy
- The Complete Essex County
- Dead Wake
- Bring Up the Bodies
- The Catcher in the Rye
- How to Be a Woman
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen : Volume 1
- Infinite Jest
- Good Omens
How did your month of reading go? Have a book or quote that totally blew your mind? Let me know in the comments!